Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Thinking about shopping for a new/used 250 or 350

What are my odds of finding a 4wd long bed crew cab with a stick? (early 2000 models). I've checked the local CL and everything seems to have an auto transmission. Also, recommendations on 5.4 vs 6.0 vs 7.3. Thanks for the .02..

Don't forget the 6.8 V-10!

Handshakers are tough to find - they just didn't make anywhere near as many of them as they did automatics.

As far as engine selection, it depends on what you need & want. If you are going to tow heavy, the 5.4 would probably not be the best choice. The V-10 with the proper gears will pull anything either of the diesels will pull. There are 6.0's available that will still have the 5/100,000 thousand mile engine warranty - not so with the 7.3's, though the 7.3 has proven to be a very reliable motor.

My $.02 is - do your research, ask yourself what you want and need, and go from there.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
They made a few of 'em...I've seen a number on eBay over the years. Seem to be disproportionately located in Texas, but maybe it's just me. [confused] (Can't really comment on how the numbers compare to autos- I always filter my results to only include manuals when I wander eBayMotors.) Another factor is that guys who buy manuals tend to keep their trucks longer, too.

As to engines....I'd avoid the 5.4, even if you aren't pulling much. Rode with a buddy in his step-dad's 5.4/auto/4.10 regular-cab F-250 with a two-place enclosed snowmobile trailer. The mileage and power, when viewed together, were not that impressive. (Either measure, on it's own, would have been acceptable, had the other been better. He was running her pretty hard, too...but slowing from 90+ to below 80 on a New England highway grade isn't that impressive with an empty trailer in my book.)

Thanks, the 5.4 is out (I'll be pulling a car hauler with the Landcruiser on it and ocationally a heavy 20' boat). What kind of mileage are we looking at with the other three?

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
autotrader online (traderonline.com, I believe) is a better place to search for one of those. +1 for avoiding the 5.4 in a truck like that. Smaller gasser just defeats the purpose of getting a SD long-bed crew, IMO. V10's a puller, but also a big 'ole gas hog. I personally would do diesel in a truck like this, or I wouldn't go at all.

I have a V10. Gas mileage isn't spectacular - but it isn't much different then the 6.0/6.4 diesel. The V10 costs $7-8000 LESS to buy new and $3-5000 used. The V10 is seldom in any shop for anything - ever. It takes 7 quarts of oil and a $4.00 filter every 6000 miles - not 15 quarts and several $20 to $60 filters, just to name a few maintenance items. Did I say the V10 is never in the shop!! Biggest downfall of the 2 valve engine - it might spit a spark plug or several, depending on the year. The 3 valve engine - the spark plugs are a bear to change and MIGHT need a special tool if you break one (there are a couple of TSB's dealing with the correct technique). Did I say that it's never in the shop for repairs that might be either very expensive if out of warranty or might leave you with no transportation if the part isn't in stock. I have a 12,000# camper(I need to change the AVATAR to show the new RV) - and it hauls it very nicely at 7-9 mpg @70mph. Mine is an '06 FX4 short bed, 4.10 gears and 18" (tall rubber) wheels. Any used Ford Super Duty over 30K miles - you WILL need shocks(Bilsteins), brakes and rotors ---soon ---- unless the original owner got stuck and did them.

My 2007 6.0L gets a solid 15-16 MPG average fuel economy. About 12 to 14 towing my 22' boat. It has about 27,000 miles on it and not one issue yet. The better fuel economy is somewhat mitigated by the higher fuel cost but that may not be like that forever. For the Super Duty I think the diesel is/was the way to go although if I had to buy again I would probably not go with the 6.4 just due to the amount of emmisions crap on it and the fact that I really cannot justify the cost due to the limited towing that I do and the drop in fuel economy/increased cost of the engine due to the emmisions systems on the engine. The EPA really killed the diesel.... for now. In a new SD it would be the 6.8 or I'd honestly just get an F-150 and save the extra 1500 lbs

looking for the samething - for the samething

spitshot,
just wanted to post up I'm looking for a f250 to tow my 69 fj40 its a small world. I was looking for a 5.4L I guess I'll be looking for a V10 My dad has one it has a miss in it; it bucks going down the road.

spitshot,
just wanted to post up I'm looking for a f250 to tow my 69 fj40 its a small world. I was looking for a 5.4L I guess I'll be looking for a V10 My dad has one it has a miss in it; it bucks going down the road.

:beer: Jake...I,ve seen you around mud..

We have pulled the boat and the cruiser around with the wife's f150 (4.6), and it seems to handle them ok as long as you stay away from the 6 to 8% grades. With the '90 dually, no problems, but it's getting tired. I'm thinking it's time to get something a little newer (plus, it's a buyers market out there right now).

Check those plug wires in the V10, had the same issue with the 4.6.

auto trader be very specific on your search, watch every day and one will appear.
that is how i found my 01-7.3 with 25k miles.pd $16.500.00
would not sell her at all.
i did find one hand shaker with 60k miles, it went for $14k
be patient you can find her.
stay away from the 6.0 diesel. the 7.3 is the only one in my book.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Holy thread revivial Batman!!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts