Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What are your thoughts on timing?

The 460 in my truck has an RV dual energy cam, roller rocker arms, an Edelbrock dual plane intake, Holley truck avenger 770cfm carb and headers. The ignition is MSD with an MSD high perf. distributor.

The timing is currently set at 10deg and the springs are set in the distributor to bring it up 21deg at 2,000 rpm.

It runs very well at this timing but I'd like to know from some old timers what you think.

?????

blacksnapon

Staff member
I always looked for between 18-25 degrees advance, final numbers depending what you are wanting to do. More advance, you need more spark and fuel (you've covered that with the carb choice and the ignition) The 460 never will get good mileage. I have always thought of the 460 more as a car engine, than a truck motor. I would set one up for power at higher rpms, not for low end grunt. Thats not to say, they dont have a low end, just that I think they are better up high. Course, you know what they say about opinions!

My old (82) 460 was extremely finicky on timing. I hope the newer ones are more forgiving. Personally, I felt like the high end had a limiter on it, as it would seem to top out too soon. Mine had a 7x9 flatbed that I loaded with sand to within 2" of the tires, about 4 tons. she sang merrily all the way home, but there were no real hills to try it out on at the time.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts