Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

6.4 PCM Question

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
I could have sworn i Read or watched a Power Point presentation that showed new memory modules (i believe there are 3) in the PCM that store multiple fuel strategies & history, Engine load & performance history and multiple flash history. I also thought that these new memory modules could not be easily erased like the old KAM memory in the 6.0 and that FMC along with the techs could access this information with FMC supplied software.

I cannot find my links to the article or power point presentation on this. So is it true or was i dreaming:headbang:

blacksnapon

Staff member
I could have sworn i Read or watched a Power Point presentation that showed new memory modules (i believe there are 3) in the PCM that store multiple fuel strategies & history, Engine load & performance history and multiple flash history. I also thought that these new memory modules could not be easily erased like the old KAM memory in the 6.0 and that FMC along with the techs could access this information with FMC supplied software.

I cannot find my links to the article or power point presentation on this. So is it true or was i dreaming:headbang:
We've been able to access information for some time. Mode 9, mode 2, freeze frame data, etc. We can make recordings of any of this information at any rpm level,load, speed, then work through the internet with ford engineers (they see the same information we're seeing. Does the 6.4 retain information after you try the customer method of clearing KAM, YES. The processor is much improved over the 6.0. There is much more information and perameters that are monitored. There's even dtc's that specifically look for "non oem programming".

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Thank you Vince. I was having this discussion, with "Superchips Mike" and he claimed that there is no recordedable long term memory in the new 6.4L PCM and that the new Superchips tuner for the 6.4 is undetectable, and that the KAM is easily cleared. I couldn't find my link where i had seen the new memory modules before, and if i recall there were even pictures of the them. I wish i could find my link of that picture and info i had.:headbang:

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
The NV (non-volatile) memory chip technology is certainly availble to keep track of "performance mods". Just keep this in mind if your still under warranty!

blacksnapon

Staff member
It's always been a cat and mouse game between the aftermarket and the manufacturers. I have no doubt that they will find a way around the technology that is here today, then the manufacturers will make a patch for that, so on, and so on. In a perfect scenario, the customer uses all the aftermarkets safeguards and recommendations, but there always will be the percentage of people that "take the shortcut". These are the ones that we have trouble with.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I gave up my warranty. It's kinda hard to hide a NOS Solenoid on the intake anyway. ROFLMAO Not sure the guys in my dealership would know though. Vince, maybe. :)

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Vince, I heard the strategy was already leaked to the aftermarket. Kinda reminds one of the first several radar detectors/radars.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Vince, I heard the strategy was already leaked to the aftermarket. Kinda reminds one of the first several radar detectors/radars.
My opinion-- Just imagine several executives from FMC,GM,CHRYSLER, And others, with aftermarket executives. For X amount of dollars, we'll supply you with codes to get your programmers working. If our repair bills get over a certain "comfort zone", we start to "find" your programmers. The reason I think this, is my Snapon dealer told me that for them to issue updates for their scanners, they have to buy the rights to do it. Kind of makes you wonder why snapon was the manufacturer for Fords new IDS diagnostic equipment.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Oh to be a fly on the wall sometimes would be nice. Just the ammount of backstabbing Snapon and OTC do to get the special tools market from the big 3 is something not many people understand. I often read posts about Snapon tools, Snapon makes only a fraction of their money on their hand tools. The big money is on the assembly line and specialty tools for service that every dealership HAS TO BUY to work on them.

blacksnapon

Staff member
As a side note, even though they buy the data from the manufacturers, they dont sell all of it. I would just bet that there is some "valuable information" kept in reserve from the programmer manufacturers.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
A friend of mine that is an independent mechanic told me he just attended a class on the new Volvos. ALL diagnostics and code updates are done from a
server at Volvo, and independent mechanics have to buy a licence from Volvo to get access to this server via the internet.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts