Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

6.0 diagnostics

blacksnapon

Staff member
Heres a good reason why you should always bring your truck in the night before when getting your truck diagnosed for a driveability problem. My work order said "Truck misses at times when towing a load". The truck was brought to me already warmed up.
Top-18_edited.jpg
It plainly shows a weak cylinder on #1. Would replacing #1 injector repair it........NOPE!

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Well getting good fuel is the all ways the easiest thing to do, god knows whats larking in those underground fuel tanks. what could a owner do to help these engines out?
After market fuel filters, water separators, fuel additives?
All of the above?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Well getting good fuel is the all ways the easiest thing to do, god knows whats larking in those underground fuel tanks. what could a owner do to help these engines out?
After market fuel filters, water separators, fuel additives?
All of the above?
I always preach fuel additives. Cetane boosters are best. Most (if not all) of the problems with a 6.0 can be traced to fuel. Injectors, egr valves, turbos, and head gaskets directly or indirectly touch fuel. A 6.0 that is a repeat for injector failure should have the fuel pressure tested. Poor fuel wont burn properly. Poor burning promotes soot buildup (egr valves, turbos coking with vgt vanes sticking). A turbo with the vanes stuck in "full boost" will be more likely to have the "turbo fart". Full boost will also shorten head gasket life.

Vince - is an injector balance test the same thing as a cylinder contribution test?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Vince - is an injector balance test the same thing as a cylinder contribution test?
Close. Notice that the second display is slightly different? That display also lets me shut off one injector at a time. The ficm has a strategy that has it increase duty cycle in neighboring injectors to compensate for the misfire (the first display, look at the neighboring cylinders). The second display also disables this strategy for a more accurate look.

Wild stuff - being able to disable that strategy to diagnose the individual injectors.

A couple of other questions, if you don't mind me picking your brain a little..

Does the horizontal "0" line represent the theoretical perfect operational area for the injectors?

Is this chart measuring the average fuel metered per event?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Wild stuff - being able to disable that strategy to diagnose the individual injectors.

A couple of other questions, if you don't mind me picking your brain a little..

Does the horizontal "0" line represent the theoretical perfect operational area for the injectors?

Is this chart measuring the average fuel metered per event?
The way I understand (or interpret) it, is that the "0" is the "starting"point. Above or below it is contribution (or lack thereof).

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Hmm, if some body was looking to pic up a used Diesel with out a warrenty which engine out of your experience would be the Umm, "safer" choice to go with....?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts