Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1999 F150 won't engage in 4 wheel drive

When I manually put in 4x4 (stick) I can hear the solenoid click. Dash light comes on, and it seems like it shifts into 4 low, but no deal. Same in 4 high nothing.[confused]

Any ideas?

Are the hubs locked in?

Get all 4 wheels off the ground and then try it. Have a friend engage 4wd while you are under and put your hand on the motor not working. Seems to be a very common problem. Don't forget to use jack stands.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Do those trucks have the selectable vacuum lock hubs? My dad's Super Duty had auto hubs with a switch for manual override.

A friend of mine has a 2001 f150, and last winter after the first snow fall, his was doing the same thing...He took it to the dealer who said that the shift fork in the transfer case was bad....apparently the original one was made out of stamped steel and eventually it gets weak. It cost about 500 bucks for them to fix it, took less than one day, I would imagine that you could do it yourself much cheaper.

blacksnapon

Staff member
A friend of mine has a 2001 f150, and last winter after the first snow fall, his was doing the same thing...He took it to the dealer who said that the shift fork in the transfer case was bad....apparently the original one was made out of stamped steel and eventually it gets weak. It cost about 500 bucks for them to fix it, took less than one day, I would imagine that you could do it yourself much cheaper.
There's a fork in the front axle as well.

To figure out if its in the transfer case or not, jack the truck up with jackstands at all 4 corners or use a lift to get all 4 wheels off the ground...start the truck up, engage 4wd and see if the front driveshaft moves with the rear one or not. If it does, then the problem is probably in the front end, if not, then the problem is probably in the transfer case.

not sure if this will apply to you or not, but before you go all out tearing into it, mine was doing the same thing ( although i have the electronic dash selector), all i did was engage 4hi, put it in reverse and backed up about 5 feet, the put it back in drive and it kicked in....been fine ever since.......i heard that sometimes you need to do that with the shift on the fly set-up, not sure why, but its food for thought

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I would go with Vince. You may just try a fluid check. My transfer case after sitting during the motor build was just hte opposite, locked in 4L. After a fluid check, refill, and about 12 miles on a gravel road it finally started working again.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts