Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New guy, wants electronic ignition...

Hi, this is my first post here, hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I have a 69 F250 that's my workhorse, hauls the racecar, bobcat, and makes long distance runs up and down the coast looking for automotive treasures, usually ends up towing something home. Its got a sweet running 390, and I'd like to replace the stock points ignition with a more modern electronic setup. I have more experience with Mopars, and with them its as easy as switching to a later (1972-up)electronic distributor, and adding the 3 wire ECU, done deal. Is there an easy swap to a later ignition for my 390, and which parts/what year should I hunt for? Besides being maintenance-free, on my mopars it also helped mpg on longer trips and improved off-idle acceleration, something that would be nice for the Ford. Thanks!

radialarm

Clown of Death!
I am certian someone more knowledgeable in this area will advise you, but until then welcome to the site!!! smilieFordlogo

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Well I would get a distributor out of a 76 and earlier that has duraspark and an FE then get the mallory box instead of the old duraspark. I put the mallory on my 76 and it works great we bought the box and an adapter for the ford plug on the disributor so we didnt have to splice anything. The new ford distributor was only 30 or 40 bucks at autozone and it has all the guts it it so its ready to go.

EDIT Sorry not mallory but MSD. Youll also need to buy thier blaster 2 coil or somethin similar.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Well it there is a few things you could do.
You could go all MSD or just get a one wire HEI style. about 180 bucks give or take..
I have them on both my trucks and I'll never look back.

wizzard351

ride'n on 35's
wi
get a dist from a 76 truck with a 360 then go to the junkyard and get the coil,ignition box(cut the facory wires of junk trunk that has the 2 wire that plug into the ignition box) and the wires from a 76-79 that conect all 3. plug in the dizzy,coil and ignition box you'll have one wire extra. that extra wire(think its yellow) will get twisted in with the white wire on the 2wire plug. the red wire on the 2 wire plug get routed over to the starter soliniod and conected on the S terminal,set timing and start

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts