Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

'96 4.0 Cel

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
So I get into the X tonight to come home and I have a CEL. Nothing out of the norm all the way.

Can I do the old method of getting the light to blink like on the OBD-I systems???

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Don't think so...'96 should be OBD-II, so you're going to have to get a reader. If you don't have access to one at school, there's probably an auto parts store around that'll pull codes for you for free.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
I was thinking school as well, but if they're not learning it at the time getting it done doesn't happen...

And nope, they outlawed it in Cali because the mechanic's association (or whatever it's called) said they were loosing money...

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
I been poking around the internet this morning looking for it and the consensus seems to be there was a "threat" of a lawsuit so Autozone stopped carrying them as rentals. You check another parts store/, see if they'll rent one?

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
It wasn't really a suit, and it's all parts stores in the state, not just A.Z..

The mechanic's just went in and filed all the papers to stop because they weren't certified mechanics or a certified facility to do such operations...

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
It wasn't really a suit, and it's all parts stores in the state, not just A.Z..

The mechanic's just went in and filed all the papers to stop because they weren't certified mechanics or a certified facility to do such operations...
To do what... Push buttons?! They're not even repairing anything!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts