Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Try your knowledge

If you have a misfiring plug will your o2 sensors show rich or lean?

• rich

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • lean

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

blacksnapon

Staff member
If you have a misfiring spark plug, will your o2 sensors show rich, or lean?

I voted lean. computers these days sense the misfire and turn off the injector, but the cylinder is still pumping air. 02 senser has a certain volume of air passing that would show lean because of the dead cylinder.
Even my old van ran pretty good with one plug wire off!

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Rich, still getting fuel, and not burning it. (unless the injector is disabled by the mis-fire code, which in that case it would lean it out) Depending on how loaded the engine is, it will also show detonation and a lower % level of free oxygen in the exhaust as read by the O2 sensor nearest the cat. So when do we get the answer Vince?

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
I voted lean due to the O2 being dumped into the exhaust from the misfire.

Fellro

Staff member
I would say it depends, not enough info. If it is the fault of the plug/wire that it is misfiring, rich. If it is the fault of fuel supply or other issue, lean. Also, if the misfire is due to a mechanical problem, it can go lean or rich.

blacksnapon

Staff member
OK, I kind of think this one is going as far as it will ever go! LEAN---the reason, O2 sensors measure oxygen, not fuel. Oxygen is consumed during combustion, no spark, no combustion, excess oxygen in the exhaust flow.

I think it will always read LEAN in rattlecan's truck; He's so broke he even makes the truck starve!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts