Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2006 super duty

I have a 2006 F250 super duty w/6.0 engine.I cannot figure out what to do.When I first run it and engine and trans are cool it feels like the transmission is slipping.After it warms up it only does it at around 75mph.Is it engine or transmission?

welcome to the site!

i'm not sure, but i'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along to help?

auto transmission i assume?

I just pulled about 5,000 lbs 400 miles yesterday and it pulled fine after it warmed up.It only vibrated a little around 75 mph.

blacksnapon

Staff member
The vibration may have been driveshaft angle if it only did it loaded. Might have to shim the carrier bearing. Is it slipping, or just sound like its slipping? Are you hearing the roar of the fan?

Kep4

Jäger
How many miles on the truck?

When was the trans fluid last changed and by whom? Was the trans flushed or just drained?

What type of fluid was used in the transmission?

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
I have a 2006 F250 super duty w/6.0 engine.I cannot figure out what to do.When I first run it and engine and trans are cool it feels like the transmission is slipping.After it warms up it only does it at around 75mph.Is it engine or transmission?

112,000 it does it loaded a little but unloaded when it is cold the worst.

Is it a Vibration, Shudder or Slip? These are all different symptoms, so a little more specific information would be helpful. Is it speed sensitive? Does it happen at all speeds in all gears? Does it happen in Tow-haul mode? Did this just start after the fluid was flushed/changed or had it done this before? How often have you had the transmission serviced in the last 112k miles? Is the truck stock or has it been modified (ie suspension lift, larger tires, tuner etc)

blacksnapon

Staff member
does this fit?

TSB
07-6-9 6.0L DIESEL ENGINE - BUCK/JERK WHEN PULLING LARGE/HEAVY GOOSE NECK TRAILERS

Publication Date: March 16, 2007

FORD: 2005-2007 F-Super Duty

ISSUE:
Some 2005-2007 Super Duty vehicles equipped with a 6.0L diesel engine may exhibit a buck/jerk concern when pulling large/heavy goose neck trailers. For example pulling multiple horses, living quarters, or on board water tank. This concern occurs in tow/haul mode, typically between 35-60 MPH (56-97 Km/h), and requires an input for the buck/jerk to start. For example, the buck/jerk may start after a shift event, torque converter lock up, or hitting a bump in the road surface.

Once the buck/jerk starts, the drivers foot may not be held steady on the pedal assembly and the buck/jerk becomes worse. Releasing the accelerator pedal completely, or going to wide open throttle (WOT) typically will stop the buck/jerk. This concern does not occur when operating the vehicle in cruise control.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Since this concern ONLY occurs while pulling a goose neck trailer, it is important that the customer bring the trailer with them in order for the concern to be verified. The buck/jerk condition specific to this concern does not occur when the truck is driven without a trailer, or with a conventional receiver pull trailer.

The buck/jerk concern is caused by trailer configuration and trailer weight distribution causing movement of the vehicle. Combined with a goose neck hitch that is not robust, the hitch flexes causing excessive movement in the truck; therefore the driver is moved in the seat with their foot moving up and down on the accelerator pedal amplifying the concern.

A revised calibration has been developed to help filter out some of the accelerator pedal movement, and show proper trailer loading, hitch location, and hitch information has been provided.

Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release IDS-47.10 and higher or IDS-48.4 (expected release March 20th) or higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2007.3 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com. This calibration contains an accelerator pedal filter.
If the concern is still present after the reflash, it may be caused by the trailer weight distribution and/or a hitch not being robust enough for the application.
Refer to the Ford Towing Guide at: www.fleet.ford.com, then select "Showroom", then "Towing Guides". Towing guide reference material may also be available in the sales department.
Note if the hitch does not appear to be robust or is home made. Some aftermarket hitches are not as robust as others and can cause the hitch to flex thereby causing the trailer to "drive" the vehicle and produce the buck jerk condition. This in turn can cause the customer's foot on the accelerator pedal to amplify this condition. Be especially suspicious of home made hitches, or hitches that do not appear to be robust.
Check the goose neck pin location and if it deviates from the Towing Guide.
Check the trailer set up for distributing the weight as recommended in the Towing Guide. If any deviations are found from the towing guide and/or the hitch is not robust, then the customer needs to be consulted about bringing their equipment up to the recommended guidelines. This may include getting approve to change to a more robust hitch.

bluewave

it is more like a shudder.When you first run it untill tans temp gets to normal it does it starting at 50 to 60 mph.After it warms up it does it at 70 to 75 mph.It does not matter when it is cold if ti is in tow/haul mode it shudders anyway.After it warms up only in overdrive mode.It seems to come out of it when you accelerate.It started doing it before I had the fluid changed.I have serviced the trans 2 times in the 112,000 miles. Yes I have a Edge programer in the truck.I have tried just putting it back to stock and that did nothing to help.I put the programmer in to try to save some fuel mileage not for speed.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
it is more like a shudder.When you first run it untill tans temp gets to normal it does it starting at 50 to 60 mph.After it warms up it does it at 70 to 75 mph.It does not matter when it is cold if ti is in tow/haul mode it shudders anyway.After it warms up only in overdrive mode.It seems to come out of it when you accelerate.It started doing it before I had the fluid changed.I have serviced the trans 2 times in the 112,000 miles. Yes I have a Edge programer in the truck.I have tried just putting it back to stock and that did nothing to help.I put the programmer in to try to save some fuel mileage not for speed.

I may have missed this in a earlier post but did you use Mercon-SP when it was serviced?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts