Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Cool tire trick.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
This is great.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yeah Tex...that is a really sweet trick. I've heard about it quite a few times...however, it's extremely dangerous and should be used as a last resort. There are a few guys I know from other boards who have tried it and gotten seriously injured.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
It makes sense... He's spraying something flammable into the tire and then he lights that flammable gas and it creates an extremely fast burst of pressure (heat = higher volume) which cause the tire to try and expand extremely quickly, which then catches the bead and seals.

At least that's what it looks like to me...

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Done it a few times myself. Big tires are hard to seat without ether. Unless you have a cheetah.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I've used Cheetahs before on rig tires, made a hell of a tater gun out of one.
Man that really P.Os the boss when you do stuff like that.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Yep...I've done it too.

Popped a 14" steel rim and tire up about 2' off the ground one time. But it seated.

To be honest, I don't think it was as unsafe as the way I got the old [expletive] tire off of that rim. Scissor jack out of a car my mother junked sitting on the sidewall, then put under the bumper of my pickup. When (not if, when) the jack slipped off the sidewall after cranking a while, that sucker would go FLYIN'.

*I hate tire work. But I'm too stupid and cheap to pay anyone to do it for me except on tires that I run down the highway on.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Ive done it many times... The only thing is once that air cools down you better have an air tank on hand. cause You will lost ALOT of airpressure and likely will lose the bead again.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
^^Yep...it's been a while since I did this, but I did it a number of times one summer, and IIRC, I found that by unscrewing the valve core before I lit it off, it would still build enough pressure to seat, but could then suck air in fast enough to keep from losing the bead as the air cooled.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
I'v heard of it being done, however it can be dangerous. and I have heard of it burning up the tires, also.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Yup, the tire can catch fire if you use too much ether and it doesn't pop on at first. Have a rag handy to knock the fire out. The bead will catch, not the sidewall, in most cases. (Don't ask me how I know) ;)

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Hey Don, whats been to dude?

huh?
If you mean whats been up?
Works and lots of it...
Been savin up for this move, gunna wind up costing me just over 1k in total.
I LOVE being stabbed in the back, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
Hope fully ill have something extra this week that i can send your way...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts