Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Well the trans went

Well I went to church last night got in my truck to leave put it in reverse and nothing. Then it finally crawled back like really slow like someone was pushing it. Well I get home messing around with it put it in reverse hit the gas and it wouldnt engage till 2500 to 3000 rpms. If I put it in reverse and let it sit there a minute it would finally go. It would start off slow. So I take it to the dealer today and they call in my warranty company (General Electric) Well they then called me and told me that the trans was shot and would need a new one. It was a quart low and they put some in and still nothing. So now I have to wait 24-48 hours for a rep from GE to come out and look at it and give the all ok. They told them to leave the trans in there and dont touch it. I guess there was a crack in the belt housing which leaked all the fluid they think there might be another one too. The kicker is they said they will put a new trans in if they get ok but it wont be the ford version. The lady from the dealer said they are to cheap to spend the extra 400 on the ford one. But if I wanted to I could spend the extra 400. It would come with a 3 year 100000 mile warranty the ford one that is the other im not sure of. Just curious how much is a new transmission. I know they cant be to cheap. Just curious y GE wont pick up the extra 400.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Non-Ford transmission?! What the hell transmission are they trying to put in?!

And why did your trans grenade? Maybe those truck pulls? :rolleyes:

Well Im not sure what they planned on putting in there but Im going to dish out the extra 400 and put the real trans in. I dont think its from the truck pulls. Cause it never acted up till about a month ago when I tried to pull my girlfriends car on a dolly out of a barn. I thought the doll was just stuck on a snow pile at first but I had the pedal the the floor and then I tried 4 wheel hi and it would barely budge. I figure it was when I went through this snow drift to get the car dolly and maybe some snow was on the sensor or something. But every bump I hit pulling the car when it said trans fault it kept reving up. Shut the truck off and it never said it again. Should have taken it in then :headbang: I even checked the fluid and all was good. I think if it was truck pulls it would have done it alot sooner then when it actually did. I figured it would have been cheaper to rebuild rather then put bolt a new one on.

O and the weird thing was my transmission never acted up before in revserse or in drive. It shifts smoothly untill last night out of no where the reverse was gone. They said it was low on fluid which a month ago was fine. But there was a crack and they said there might be another one too. Go figures I bought the truck a year ago yesterday.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
There is a little gear inside called a sun gear that controls reverse. When the teeth on the gear go and with no warning I might add, that is all she wrote. I just got done with a trans rebuild and the teeth were gone. then the metal pieces get to the lip seals in the tranny.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I wouldn't jump on the $400-upgraded-trans bandwagon just yet... Get 2nd and maybe even 3rd opinion. That smells like BS.

Well thats the only 2 options the warranty company has givining me. I still have to find out what kinda warranty the other comes with and how good it is. But when I talked to the lady she said if I paid for the ford transmission it comes with a 3 year 100000 warranty. I forgot to ask her the other warranty. I didnt think of it till after I got off the phone and they were closed. The only reason the ford one sounds better at this moment is because when I bought by truck last year it had 51000 miles on it and I bought a 4 year 40000 mile warranty. Well I got 78000 miles on it now so I dont have many miles left on warranty. So thats why I like the sounds of the ford one. But we will see

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'm still confused on what kinda transmission the other one is...I wasn't aware Ford offered generic brand parts that would fit. As for the mileage out of your tranny...what on earth are you doing that you only got a 129k life out of it?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yeah I really don't think that Ford offers generic transmissions... Or at least they don't for my truck... I feel like maybe they're trying to get some more money out of you. Go to a different dealership and see what they tell you.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I'm thinking there's a bit of a communication gap, and the difference is, perhaps between a transmission rebuilt/remanufactured by Ford (or Certified Techs) and one from a third-party rebuilder.

Maybe Vince or one of the other techs would know...

This is just a guess but I think they're saying they won't spring for a Ford reconditioned transmission rather they'll pay for a transmission reconditioned by a company like Jasper or the like.

EDIT: Oops, Ian and I were replying at the same time...

I'm still confused on what kinda transmission the other one is...I wasn't aware Ford offered generic brand parts that would fit. As for the mileage out of your tranny...what on earth are you doing that you only got a 129k life out of it?
They didnt say who makes the other trans they just told me the warranty on it would only last till my extended warranty expires and thats about 13000 miles. I dont think it was a ford transmission cause the warranty isnt a Ford extended warranty. Like I said in my original post my warranty is from General Electric. So they wana go the cheaper route. So they are saving money. I dont know why it went out. It only has 78K on it. I only have have towed a enclosed snowmobile trailer. Like said before it could have been from the truck pull but you would think it would have acted up earlier. The truck never shifted hard after the truck pull so I kinda eliminated that. I have taken it to the sand dunes but Im not hard on it there either. It was a used truck and I dont know what the original owner did. Maybe what he did and what I have done played apart in it going. Who knows though. Its hard to say

Yeah I really don't think that Ford offers generic transmissions... Or at least they don't for my truck... I feel like maybe they're trying to get some more money out of you. Go to a different dealership and see what they tell you.
I cant really go to a different dealership anyway cause its going to cost me a hundred for my warranty claim at where its at and another hundred at the next dealer and they are going to say the samething cause its what the warranty company wants to pay. Its not what ford does. I dont have any warranty through ford.

They prolly want to use like a Jasper reman or another rebuilder...

Personally I wouldn't touch any of those rebuilds with a ten foot pole...

Ya thats why I opted for the Ford Transmission. They said they are going to get it delivered by monday or tuesday and in asap. Cant wait. I cant stand driving this taurus. I miss my truck

The difference would be in having the shop rebuild/fix the existing trans as cheaply as possible or your paying the difference for a Ford Reman. Take the Ford Reman as the warrantee is good nationwide with no hassles. Your info will be in the Ford data base so you won't even need to carry your reciept if you go on a trip.

I priced a 4R70 for my Mark VIII at a local dealership about a year ago and the price was $1,450 over the counter, exchange. Including the full warrantee.

I used to work at a trans shop and a customer would have a hard time getting the same type of trans rebuilt and warranteed for less than $2,400 installed. For those that don't know, over the counter means it's a DIY project.

Well I called my dealer yesterday to see when it would be done. Well they said Trans came in late tuesday and would in today. Well 2 hours later they go o we got bad news im like ok whats this. He said the tube for the dip stick wouldnt come out. So we got to order a new one. Bad news is it wont be in till Saturday but your truck wont be done till monday or tuesday at the latest. Im like well ok I guess. Then two more hours later he calls again and said I know its always bad news when I call but I just checked everything with your warranty company since I was gone for 7 days when you brought it in and they said that you need a Trans cooler which isnt covered and its going to cost you 360 bucks. I was like well they never said I needed one in the original quote. So today we go up there to talk to them in person and we said why cant you just flush it well they said that it needs to be a new one in case if some particles didnt come out on the flush. Plus ford will void the warranty if they see the original cooler with a new trans. So now I dont get the truck till monday or tuesday and my bill went from 500 to 875. I cant believe this. Just my luck im laid off and now this. Also for you that were confussed on the other trans. We asked them when we were there and General Electric wanted to throw in a used trans in my truck. Screw that the extra 400 is well worth it.

Well I goto pick it up yesterday cause they got it done friday instead of monday or tuesday. Me and my girlfriend go out to lunch and we come back out and she notices oil marks cause its raining. I look under and sure enough trans fluid is leaking. So I hurry back to the dealer cause they closed in 15 minutes. The serive manager told me to bring it in and he looked under it and sure enough it was leaking from the dip stick tube. Whoever put it in didnt make sure it was in all the way. So I had to get the rental back again. But im suppose to get my truck back tomorrow so Im happy now. I was just getting use to it. I put a whole 5 miles on it lol

Ya I was real lucky cause it wasnt on my side I was in the truck getting ready to start it. I walked around the side of the truck and there was that rainbow looking substance on the ground from the rain. I figured it was from something else but she was like no see it dripping under the truck. I didnt get that far yet so I crawled under and sure enough. I was lucky

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts