Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

78 f250 rear axle question

Ive got a buddy with a 78 f250 2wd. 460, C6, super cab, short bed. Where, if at all, do I look on the tag in the door jam to find rear axle ratio? I have a hazy picture of it on my phone. I haven't ridden in it, but he claims the axle is going out and needs a new one. Also, Im curious, as I might buy this truck this summer to do my towing. Also, dumb question, but just so I am 100% sure, it is a dana 60 rear, right?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Sorry...little inebriated here...can't remember everything...but the axle code should be on the warranty plate...under the VIN #. Look up ther axle code or something like that...and it should tell you.

As for the rear (I said rear hahaha)...it could also be a D70. There is Aslo a way to tell the difference between the 60's and 70's...but it's too hard for me to do it right now.

Whoope...on edit, I think just the 350's came with a D70.

78RatingPlate2.jpg

1979AxleCodes.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry...little inebriated here... I think just the 350's came with a D70.
Hehe we all get that way from time to time. And I think yer correct about d70's only being in f350's.

Last edited:
Ok that picture that dennis posted was helpful. Id crawl under it and just look at the axle tag, but it rains here in washington. Im really hoping its a higher ratio, because id be hauling loads up steeper hills quite a bit. It also has a small camper for it, that would be nice for going to tractor pulls. so I figure If I put airbags to help the rear springs, maybe wake up that 460 a little, I could have a pretty good tow truck for my tractors and what not. Its also A/C, which should be nice for the summer. A/C don't work, but the family radiator shop does that so I could get that goin

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts