Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's a...Ford?

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
I had to research this a bit today...and figured it had some application here as well.

A lot of people forget that cars and trucks weren't Mr. Ford's only productions. In the early 1920's, Ford (along with several other companies) invested in the Stout Metal Airplane Company, which through a series of designs and mis-designs, would eventually produce the 4-AT and 5-AT production models, which would be released as the Ford Trimotor. It would carry 8 or 9 passengers, plus 2 pilots and a stewardess in a normal configuration. In 1927, the first Trimotor rolled off the production line and sold for $42,000 (approximately half a million in 2009 dollars).

The plane was built with typical Ford inginuity: simple, rugged, and reliable. It used three 300-horsepower Wright (later 420 HP Pratt & Whitney) radial engines that redlined at a blistering 1600 RPM. It featured an unusual design of having engine gauges mounted on the engines themselves, so pilots would have to look out their windows to read them. It also had an unusual hand-operated brake, as well as cargo storage bins mounted in the wings. It was one of the first aircraft regularly operated in instrument meterological conditions (IMC) where visibility was reduced.

In the early 30's, rapidly advancing aircraft production (notably in the Douglas DC-2) would quickly phase out the Ford Trimotor, leading to only 199 being produced when the line closed in 1933. That, combined with the death of Ford's main pilot and good friend, caused Ford to lose interest in the aircraft manufacturing business, though he would continue to improve airports and navigation methods across the country, and would build the largest aircraft factory in the world in WWII in Detroit, where he would lead production of more B-24 Liberator bombers than any other manufacturer in the world.

The Trimotor was used by over 100 airlines and multiple militaries, despite it's small production numbers. It would be flown widely by both Pan American Airways and American Airways. Notable aircraft included serial number 10, built in 1927, that would go on to fly in the USA, Mexico, and Canada; be flown by pilots such as Charles Lindbergh and Amelia Earhart; and hold 8 world records or firsts. As of 2009, the aircraft was still flying, restored to it's original 1927 condition.

As of January 2009, there are 18 Ford Trimotors still in existance, 6 of which are in flyable condition. 3 of the aircraft still regularly tour the United States. Non-flying aircraft are on display at the Smithsonian, the Henry Ford Museum, and the San Diego Air & Space Museum.

EAA_Ford_Trimotor.jpg

Ford_Trimotor.jpg

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
I remember seein one of them once thyre pretty cool. I remember hearin somewhere that because of the three motors it caused it to turn to one side but im not sure.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I love seeing the trimotors...never gets old. It's a beautiful aircraft. I believe there was one that was up for auction on BJ...I think it ended up going somewhere in $1.5-2M range.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I've flown in one. One stopped here at the lake and was giving sightseeing tours for a weekend. REALLY awesome, but SMALL seats! LOL

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts