Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

lowerin a 97 4x4

hey yall, for the time being i need to put my sas on hold i need to keep a reliable dd while im in school ... :'(
but anyways i was thinking about just takin my truck and droppin it an inch or 2 and jsut runnin a nice set of 31" street tires or at's, i was planing on just takin out the stock rear block off the axle, but how could i go about lowering the front a little, can i just unload the torsion bars a little? im not sure how much preload they come with but if i just loosen them a bit will it lower it safely? i just want a good reliable truck to drive around town in, i used to get 15mpg before the bigger and heavier 33" mudders but it looked stupid with the 31"s thats the only reason i wanna lower it, so i can run 31s and not look too bad, any advice?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Dunno nothin about the TB's...but maybe cuttin down the springs a coil or so would help too.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Dont heat the springs... Not a good idea. I will sell you my old springs... They sit about 2" lower than factory... But there on my 95, not sure how that would swap over or not. Honestly it would probably be best to just leave the truck how it is and deal with the ugly look for not. Shouldn't hurt to try the torsion bars though... But i dont know jack about torsion bars though...

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Regardless of how you do it Mike, you will have to hand over your man card. :D

Lower a 4x4? Are you crazy... that strikes me as so heinous...

Find a decent 2WD to screw up....

(sorry... :p)

oh dont worry tony, ill buy me a little beater or something to fawk around in, ill still be at the mudhole, i just want this to be my dd and not look stupid sittin on 31s, i think imma take out the rear block and maybe try the torsion bars, anyone know if itll hurt anything but unloading the torsion bars some?

oh dont worry tony, ill buy me a little beater or something to fawk around in, ill still be at the mudhole, i just want this to be my dd and not look stupid sittin on 31s, i think imma take out the rear block and maybe try the torsion bars, anyone know if itll hurt anything but unloading the torsion bars some?

Whats wrong with 31"s on a 4 wheel drive?

P1010042-1.jpg

my truck looks decent with 33s, but the wheel wells are still open some, with 31s itll look even worse lol, just think itll look stupid thats all

my truck looks decent with 33s, but the wheel wells are still open some, with 31s itll look even worse lol, just think itll look stupid thats all

Do you think that my truck looks stupid with 31"s? (honest, I wont mind the truth lol)

nah yours actually looks just right

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
oh dont worry tony, ill buy me a little beater or something to fawk around in, ill still be at the mudhole

If you're going to buy a beater...why don't you leave the 33s on the F-150, and just drive the beater around to save gas?

Add the few hundred bucks a set of 31s would cost to what you're going to pay for the beater, and it'll probably work out better in the long run.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
If you're going to buy a beater...why don't you leave the 33s on the F-150, and just drive the beater around to save gas?

Add the few hundred bucks a set of 31s would cost to what you're going to pay for the beater, and it'll probably work out better in the long run.

smiliewhathesaid

Don't "fix" what ain't broke.

ill get better gas mileage with the lighter 31s, smaller street tire or at tire, or a bigger mud tire, the smaller street tire wins for a dd that imma be drivin on the street, i should be able to find a set cheap used in good shape, or trade my current 33s for a set

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts