Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Help. 2007 F150 5.4l

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
I currently have a Gryphon and am running the 87 performance tune.

Ok so earlier this week I started hearing wat sounded like a little rattling noise at certain RPM's. I assumed a loose exhaust clamp or something simple I could do when I had the weekend off. Truck has also been hard to start. I assumed maybe needed a new battery even though mine is only 2 years old

Today I was running low on gas and pumped in some 91 octane, only about 5 gallons. Drove home and idle at lights seemed a little rough. Picked up my daughter and headed home. Get home and stop just outside the garage to let my daughter out. Start to pull into the garage and engine starts running REALLY rough. Bouncing between 3-500 RPM's, low based on what I have seen.

Pull the code and I get:
P0012 Intake Camshaft
Position timing
over retarded (bank 1)

Code looked exactly as posted above.

Tune issue? octane issue? Other issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am heading to the snow this weekend and do not want to get stuck up there...

Thanks.

Icamshaft position sensor?

flathead95hp

Always a Ford Guy
The PCM monitors the variable camshaft timing (VCT) position for over retarded camshaft timing. the test fails when the camshaft timing exceeds a maximum calibrated value or remains in a retarded position.
Possible causes are:
Camshaft timing set incorrectly
Continous oil flow to the VCT piston chamber
The VCT solenoid valve is stuck open or the Camshaft advance mechanism is binding(VCT unit)

The code is a functional check of the vct. diagnose any base engine concerns related to engine oil pressure or engine timing.

Hope it helps.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Aaron is there a way that you can disable the effects of the chip to see if it changes anything? Chips for my era truck modify the timing and fuel tables so I imagine that yours might be doing something similar...

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
I have been running untuned since Friday and issue is still there. Goes into shop tomorrow. BIL thinks is a sensor gone bad. I'll keep ya posted

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Maybe it's in shock from all the rain.....
leaving.gif

hope your not lookin for a warranty job... if that P1000 code is there your gettin nuttin free lol

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Well I did get a p1000 code but I assume it is due to me unhooking the battery and taking it to get tested when I initally thought it was just a starting issue with a bad battery.

Guess we'll see.

If I broke it I'll pay to have it fixed. If I didn't break it then the warranty will pay to have it fixed...

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
They said throwin like 4 different codes for both side of the engine cams.

And they are pulling the valve covers tomorrow to check the cams and what not. Not exactly sure what they are checking for, abuse, broke, stuck...

All the service writer could say was I have NEVER seen both sides go bad before unless it was related to an oil change with a crappy filter...

I'll keep ya posted.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Well I am going to say walmart and some will automatically say yes I did but I have had it in for about 3000 miles now and no other issues till a weel or two ago...

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Well I am going to say walmart and some will automatically say yes I did but I have had it in for about 3000 miles now and no other issues till a weel or two ago...
Just cuz it didn't happen right away doesnt mean the oil change isn't the problem... Say they put USED motor oil in your engine (yes I've heard of such things happening before)-- that used oil could still have some miles left on it, but who knows how much. Surely not enough miles to last the entire duration of an oil change cycle...

Another scenario would be the usage of a used oil filter, for the same reasons described above. Those are just a couple examples...

blacksnapon

Staff member
Just be honest about it. We've heard all of the excuses. If they say it was a defective filter, and you've been going to Walmart, you have documentation that puts the problem in Walmarts lap.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
well if they end up saying it was an oil change issue then i guess im the hook for the bill...no idea how I could put it in walmarts lap...im sure they would say not their fault and throw it in frams lap.

where would it end and how much time and money would it take to prove...

if it is the phasers on both sides how much am i looking at vince?

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
26 hours my car has been in their shop and they are JUST now going to take it on a test drive to see if the oil change THEY wanted to do did the job. They are only working on it now because I called a pitched a fit.

UNBELIEVABLE.

In 17 minutes I will be on my way over to the dealership with a tow truck enroute and have it towed to another dealership for the work if they can't give me a firm answer on what EXACTLY the problem is.

I have owned 13 brand new Fords in my short life and I have NEVER had this poor of customer service from a dealership.

I know it's a ways away Aaron, but Hemborg in Norco has good reviews, as does Tuttle-Click in Irvine.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Thanks for the info Steve.

I blame myself really. I have dealt with Drew Ford in La Mesa for all 13 of my vehicle purchases AND all my service. Again I have NEVER had this kind of piss poor customer service from them on any issue I have had them check in to. I was in a bind and Rancho Ford is in Temecula while Drew is 70 miles away. My gut said don't do it but the necessity for a close fix to hopefully avoid a rental car made me choose them.

Learned my lesson

Last edited:

polarbear

Boring, Oregon
:( You owe a letter to the General Manager. If you don't want to write it, let me know. "Recently, a family friend was in need of emergency service and had his truck towed to your facility..."

On our corporate letterhead. :rofl:

Funny- the really big Ford Store down the street had a horrible rep for service. Guess who's doors are closed? Coincidence?

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Ernie...I honestly do not think they are going to have their doors open that much longer anyways. When I was on their lot yesterday they had about 15-20 new cars and maybe 15 or so used cars on the WHOLE LOT. I have seen dealerships downsize but this really seemed bare bones.

I also want to make this clear to everyone that reads this.

I AM NOT TRYING TO LAY BLAME AT THE FEET OF THE MECHANICS AT ALL THIS IS PURELY A CUSTOMER SERVICE ISSUE TO ME

My frustration is with the service writer and service manager, who after 3 messages has yet to return a call to me. This is about not keeping a customer updated. I am not looking for a minute by minute update but when I am the one that has to call to get an update rather then them calling me, I have an issue. When I am having to decide if I need to rent a car and have to wait till they get back to me at 5:30pm I find that to be an issue. When I am told I will get a call at 0900 and after 4 attempts to call them I finally talk to someone else, I have an issue with that. When I am told they are taking it for a test drive we will call you as soon as they get back and let you know what they found and it is a full two hours later...I have an issue with that.

Sorry but customer service is my pet peeve whether it be a resturant, shoe store or car dealership. If you don't want to be in customer service then
there are plenty of other jobs out there...

/rant

polarbear

Boring, Oregon
Dang- I've got that much inventory, new and used, sitting out back waiting to be PDI'd or run through the shop and detail.

This really is the kind of stuff that drives us crazy- mostly from the standpoint that, as tough as biz is, this is the worst time to ignore customer service.

They got Enterprise down there? Dealer should be able to hook you up with a Corp rate if Ford doesn't buy the rental (which I believe they will).

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts